Smart phone shipments fall as Apple struggles
Palo Alto, Shanghai, Singapore and Reading (UK) – Friday, 29 April 2016
Worldwide smart phone shipments fell for the first time in the market’s history, from 324 million units in Q1 2015 to 321 million units in Q1 2016. The top two vendors both posted shipment declines, with Apple the worst hit. Excluding Apple and Samsung smart phone shipments increased 5%, despite some of the big named international vendors outside the top five also faring badly. LG, Lenovo and TCL-Alcatel posted significant declines, while Sony plummeted by around 57%.
The market decline can be attributed to a number of factors:
- Apple’s inability to repeat the success of the iPhone 6, which kick-started a massive upgrade cycle thanks to its larger display. The company had the largest fall in growth of all the major vendors, shipping 11 million fewer units in Q1 2016 than in Q1 2015 (a 16% drop).
- Slowing product innovation in the premium smart phone space has led to increasingly modest upgrades to flagship handsets, meaning consumers keep devices for longer. In some markets, such as the US and Western Europe, subsidies are being reduced, which has compounded the effect.
- The significant improvements in the specification and quality of mid-range devices means replacement cycles in high-growth markets are also lengthening.
- Flagship models, such as Samsung’s Galaxy S7 and Apple’s iPhone 6s, are still beyond the reach of many in emerging high-growth markets.
Rachel Lashford, Canalys VP of Analysis, said, ‘Conditions are challenging for many vendors, and we expect to see a consolidation of the smart phone market in coming quarters. There are bright spots, however, such as Huawei, Oppo and Vivo, which all increased shipments dramatically. These vendors are expanding beyond China, nurturing their channels, spending on marketing and making their differentiators around technology and positioning abundantly clear to consumers.’
If you are interested in further information, please contact us:
- Canalys Americas: +1 650 681 4488
- Canalys APAC: +65 6671 9399 (Singapore) / +86 21 2225 2888 (China)
- Canalys EMEA: +44 118 984 0520
Canalys is an independent analyst company that strives to guide clients on the future of the technology industry and to think beyond the business models of the past. We deliver smart market insights to IT, channel and service provider professionals around the world. Our customer-driven analysis and consulting services empower businesses to make informed decisions and generate sales. We stake our reputation on the quality of our data, our innovative use of technology and our high level of customer service.
To view the chart(s) from this media alert, and others from Canalys, download the new Insight @Canalys app today from the Apple App Store, the Google Play store or as an HTML 5 web app.
To receive media alerts directly, or for more information about our events, services or custom research and consulting capabilities, please complete the contact form on our web site.
Alternatively, you can e-mail [email protected] or call +1 650 681 4488 (Palo Alto, California, USA),
+65 6671 9399 (Singapore), +86 21 2225 2888 (Shanghai, China) or +44 118 984 0520 (Reading, UK).
For more information:
e-mail [email protected]